This side-event will give Member States and other South-South and triangular cooperation stakeholders the opportunity to better understand valuable opportunities to scale up development impact through South-South and triangular cooperation funding mechanisms.
The discussion can also highlight the importance of all partners in leveraging and tracing the impact South-South and triangular private-sector funding, foreign direct investment, remittances, and philanthropy. The discussion will be anchored by the following guiding questions:
- What are some of the key advantages and disadvantages facing Southern actors in funding an equitable and sustainable post-COVID-19 recovery?
- What systematic approaches can be leveraged to scale-up and improve innovation in South-South financing mechanisms for sustainable development?
- What policy instruments may Southern countries consider toward stimulating external investment? What is the role of the Southern community in ensuring that this promotion does not create market distortions in national and regional markets? And how can countries ensure that some of the benefits of their expanding businesses are channeled back to domestic markets?
- How can policy makers best facilitate the unlocking of innovation to optimize total financing directed towards sustainable development outcomes?
- What are key mechanisms for enforcing and assessing the presence of best practices in innovative South-South investment flows? How can countries ensure accountability and transparency in the alignment of investments with national sustainable development targets?
Date and Time: 2 June 2021, 8:15 – 9:45 am EDT