The “Youth for South (Y4S): Advanced Youth Leadership Programme” is an umbrella facility dedicated to supporting South-South cooperation initiatives, projects and activities in promoting youth leadership and capacity development for achieving sustainable development goals (SDGs)
“Youth for South: Advanced Young leadership Programme” was launched by United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC), during the Global South-South Development Expo 2017 in Antalya Turkey, in partnership with Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth Office, the Finance Center for South-South Cooperation, the Islamic Conference Youth Forum, FK Norway, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), and United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). It aims at developing the capacities of established young leaders so they can learn and share knowledge on scalable Southern solution with the objective of bringing sustainable development to their own communities.
To facilitate the implementation of Y4S as a multi-stakeholder programme, UNOSSC, with its mandate and strategic positioning at the UN system and globally, will engage with all stakeholders including Member States, UN entities, NGOs, civil society and the private sector at both global and regional levels. So far, partners including the China Institute for South-South Cooperation in Agriculture (CISSCA) of China Agricultural University, Institute for South-South Cooperation and Development (ISSCAD) of Peking University, China Africa Development Fund, Xinhua News Agency of China, Zayed International Foundation for the Environment of U.A.E. have committed to supporting the Youth4South.
Youth4South aims to:
1) Support the exchange of knowledge and solutions, and facilitate mutual learning among young people globally.
2) Provide capacity development training for youth leaders so that they can learn, adapt and apply South-South and Triangular Cooperation (SSTrC) tools and methods to implement and scale-up sustainable development solutions and projects in their home community, institution and country contexts.
3) Provide youth leaders from developing countries accesses to expertise, resources and networks offered by partners of South-South cooperation, to support their efforts in scaling up innovative solutions in promoting sustainable development.
4) Promote dialogue between youth and development stakeholders in areas of critical importance to youth such as leadership and empowerment, political participation, skills development, gender equality, and women and youth empowerment.
5) Increase youth engagement and participation in global dialogues and discussions including ECOSOC Youth Forum, World Programme of Action for Youth, BAPA+40, Global South-South Development Expo, and World Expo 2020.
Among its various means to support SSTrC, UNOSSC manages and supports implementation of four South-South cooperation trust funds including the United Nations Fund for South-South Cooperation (UNFSSC) which provides means and institutional backup to enable Y4S to serve as grant receiving and making facility.
Pillars under the umbrella of the Y4S programme will include:
- Advanced Youth Leadership Training Programme (download the Y4S Training Concept)
- Organization of youth related events, activities and initiatives
- Small grant facility to support to scale up selected project proposals from young leaders
Testimonials from participants of the First Youth for South Orientation Training
Istanbul, 20-22 June 2018