The United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation was established to promote, coordinate and support South-South and triangular cooperation globally and within the United Nations system.
UNOSSC brings together governments and the United Nations system to analyse and articulate evolving and emerging trends, dynamics and opportunities in South-South cooperation. It also supports South-South cooperation focal points at the national, regional and global levels.
More specifically, UNOSSC:
- Provides secretariat support to intergovernmental bodies, including analytical reporting on trends and opportunities;
- Coordinates United Nations system support to South-South and triangular cooperation and monitoring and reporting on the mainstreaming of that cooperation;
- Forges strategic South-South and triangular partnerships;
- Maps Southern development solutions;
- Undertakes outreach, advocacy and strategic communication on issues of critical importance to the South that call for South-South solutions;
- Mobilizes resources and manages funds for South-South cooperation.